Saturday, May 16, 2009

Trip to the States & a 50th celebration

My US trip was mainly to attend the 50th birthday bash for my sister in law Mim Shirk. The sisters and sister in laws of Ed's family have a tradition that when we turn 50 we get together for the weekend and celebrate. Mim choose a great location near Virginia Beach. We only had to walk less than a mile to the beach. Every day was sunny and warm. I walked at least twice each day to the beach including a night visit to lay on towels and look at the stars.
As always there was much game playing, good conversation, eating, laughing, and gift giving. This year the main Saturday night feast was Fondue. Thanks to Renee for taking this on. I arrived a couple days early to PA to stay with Ed's parents so that I could get over my jet lag. While I was there, Casey who is Pete & Sandy Shirks daughter, had a soccer game. She is on the Varsity team of her Jr High. This is a shot taken right after she made an assist. They won! Mom Sandy and bother Eric clapping for the end result. Somehow Pete avoided the camera.


After the game in the driveway.


Mother's fabulous garden and the great shed Pete made complete with rockers to sit and enjoy the view.



This tree was picked out and planted for Mim years ago (Each child got a tree) which is a dogwood. How appropriate that it blooms on her birthday!




1 comment:

Renee said...

It's good to see that the rest of your trip was enjoyable too. I HAD so much fun on the birthday weekend and wish it would happen more often. Okay maybe I just need more weekends away :-)

We will keep you & Ed in our prayers as you feel the pressure of the center to stay longer. Boy - that's a tough choice that would be hard for anyone to make.