Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Weird mail & 'taking on' not 'giving up'

This piece of mail came in the post the other day. What about this envelope looks different to you? Is there something about a certain way to handle mail that I don't know about?
It's Lent and for some that means a time when you 'give up' something, a time of penitence, an introspective period during which we take stock of our lives. In years past, I've tried to give up something, but I've not been very good at it. Here at the Centre, we've talked about doing something different. Instead of giving up something, we are taking on something. The Thiessen family and Dora-Marie go to the Archway tube station every Wednesday over the lunch hour and pass out fliers asking for an end to the occupation and war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have decided to take on reading something other than fiction in my spare time. So this is my choice out of our library. It's going well, and now some of my spare time is spent taking on something which helps me think more about worship.
So what are you doing during Lent this year?

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

That looks like an excellent book! And what a neat idea.