Sunday, March 16, 2008

Prayer Hut Project

The LMC Prayer Hut was constructed about 20 years ago by volunteers to be used by pastors and church leaders or anyone needing it as a place of solitude and contemplation. It gets used at least one day a week and the users value the time they spend there.

When it was constructed they placed the Hut on a wooden foundation - which has now rotted away along with some of the other lumber at the base of the building.

Here is Jim placing a jack to lift the Hut so we can dig new footers. We lifted it up about 6 inches and removed the rotted lumber (2nd pic) which used to be the foundation. The building was surprisingly rigid and stable. I expected it to creak and groan as we lifted but it didn't.

There was some serious spider activity under there, but UK does not have termites, so the damage was only from normally rotting wood. (PS from Phyllis) Not only does the UK not have termites but of the spiders they do have, none are poisonous... and they have no snakes! Although since a Brit told me these facts, someone else thought there may be some snakes in places but not like I was used to in my back yard in Harper, KS.

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

No snakes, you say? I'll be right over! I could do without snakes!!

Sounds like quite a project, and a really neat little place!! We could all probably use a prayer hut in our back yards.

MB said...

That's great not to have any snakes out there. I think I could live there with the exception of the spiders. I would be screaming at those things.