Thursday, November 08, 2007

Highgate Woods & Guy Fawkes Day

Last Sunday we went for a walk in Highgate Woods which is the route we take when we walk to Muswell Hill for groceries that I can't get closer by. It is very peaceful and remarkably quiet given the fact that this path follows the busy road to Muswell Hill.

In an earlier entry MB asked in her comments if we celebrated fireworks day. I was surprised that an American knew of fireworks day. So for those of you who don't as I didn't, I will give you a brief abridged history lesson. It's actually Guy Fawkes Day. It celebrates the foiling of the Gunpowder plot in which a group of Roman catholic conspirators of which Guy was a part of, attempted to blow up the Palace of Westminster to kill King James I of England and destroy Protestant rule and aristocracy. This was 5th November, in the early 1600's.
Fireworks were going off for at least a week and huge displays were all over. We could easily see one from our back balcony of our bedroom that was at a local sports field. These mushrooms were growing on a tree on our walk through Highgate Woods.

1 comment:

MB said...

One of the judges on "Dancing with the Stars," mentioned this and so I thought I would ask. ;)