Saturday, May 05, 2007

Out and about

The first picture is the clock tower that is in the center of the village of Crouch End which is a part of London. London is made up of many, many of these villages that grew together to become London. This is where I will walk to get groceries for that evening meal. Since I have to carry them and the way back us up hill, I can't carry for more than one or two meals. The next picture is the village of Kew which is in south London. We went there to see the Kew gardens which was beautiful. All the rhododendrons and azaleas were in bloom. I love all the outdoor cafes. The last picture is of Tim Weddler who with his wife live in a room on the third floor. They are from Canada, working in London for a year and traveling around Europe on long weekends. This is at the end of the back yard at the Centre where all the dead branches and bush cuttings are thrown so we have a fire now and then and either cook hamburgers or sit around and talk. Outdoor fires in the city are legal. I just found out the other day that the musician "Sting" has a house in High Gate. We have been putting a High Gate cemetery resident of the week in our blog but I would like to put something different in every other entry. We encounter many words or phrases that have different meanings to us. Such as: UK: Rubbish USA: Trash UK: crisps USA: potato chips UK: trousers USA: pants UK: knickers USA: women's underwear.......more next week!


5 comments:

MB said...

I like the picture of the outdoor cafes. :)

Amy said...

Are you finding that the new words and phrases are replacing the American words in you vocab yet? We have an English friend that we'll be excited to try out some of the "lingo" with. I already taught Sam rubbish, and I know he won't forget it. We'll look forward to learning more from you!

The Grabers said...

It looks so sunny and that cafe is calling me. With all this snow, I'm wondering what a ticket to London costs? I'm sure Ed's pirate accent would be even better now!
Tonya

flute4peace said...

So that's where they got "Don't get your knickers in a knot"...

R & J Murray said...

Your pictures are worth a thousand words, but your words are very descriptive-of London. We are learning much by reading your blog.

I (Joanne) have written a piece about Hurricane Katrina entitled "Don't Forget New Orleans--It's Not Over." It is posted on the MDS website/New Orleans Project. Our church group went there in March for a week of clean-up.