Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Keats house


About a month ago, we walked to Hampstead which is about a 30 min brisk walk from where we live. This is a picture of the house that the writer/poet John Keats lived in for a few years. We were on a walk yesterday and just happened upon the house of Charles Dickens. Peter Sellers lived in a house just a 5 min walk from the Centre. Buildings that have been homes to famous people are easy to spot as they have a blue round plaque on the front of the house with the persons name, occupation, and date of their birth & death on it. You can see in this photo that the plaque is right above the door. I never get tired of walking around and looking at the buildings. And now....more words or phrases: What we call the "trunk" of a car, they call the "boot". What we call the hood of a car, they call the "bonette". U.S. "I'm going to vacuum the carpets". U.K. "I'm going to Hoover the carpets".

5 comments:

Spike & Glo said...

Wow; we thought our version of the English language was weird! So, when you tell your friends they have bees in their bonnet, they go look at their car engine? And when you tell them to take off their boots and relax, they go dismantle their car?

The Grabers said...

Have you been to a car boot sale? My sister gets all the kids clothes there. Apparently since no one has a garage, they put their items they want to sell in the "boot". The cars line up and you go from car to car looking for cheap stuff.
Spike-your still cracking me up!

MB said...

LOL I'm going to Hoover the carpets! I do that all the time at church! Keept those British phrases coming they are so interesting!

flute4peace said...

I'm really enjoying all of these touring pictures! Thanks for sharing them, and the interesting language differences.

Spike & Glo said...

I am going to leave a serious message this time before my exceptionally nice reputation goes down the loo.
I really do appreciate the scenery and historical pictures and all the information that you inlude. Keep it up!
Spike