Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Day Feast & Boxing Day walk

On Christmas Day the LMC, which was only three of us, hosted a meal for Christmas. There were the three of us, and friend of Dora-Marie's, four from Church, a church members mother, and two girls from the Radical Journey unit in Bradford, north England. You can see the crackers by everyones plate.
Getting the food ready in the kitchen. I'm fixing the last dish, the mashed potatoes. One of the Brits was disappointed that I made mashed potatoes as they are used to having roasted potatoes. Turkey is about the only thing we have in common with the Brits. Other things that are traditional for them.....Brussel Sprouts (how is that a treat?) bread sauce, and Christmas pudding (Blech!) They don't do pumpkin things. So we had a little of both. I made the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, Dora-Marie made a jello salad and celery with dip, and I made a pumpkin dessert and yeast rolls. The Brits brought brussel sprouts, parsnips, carrotts, and Christmas pudding.
This is Rachel Goering from Newton, KS and Kristen Leichty from Albany, OR. They are doing a one year term at the Radical Journey unit in Bradford, England.

On Boxing Day, Ed and I took the tube to Southwest London to Richmond and took a walk around. This is a lending library on the far left, and a theatre in the centre. Peter Pan was the play during the holiday season. It's traditional to have what they call "Pantos" during the holidays. They do the same ones every year. Often they are done up as a comedy and many of the female parts are played by men dressed as women. For instance, Cinderella is always done and the step sisters are always men in drag as well as the step mother. Peter Pan is another one, also Jack and the Bean stalk and a more serious one is A Christmas Carol.



We walked along the Thames in Richmond. It was cold but very sunny and pretty.




The area we are in is quite posh. This is a garden that opened up to the path we were on.





This is a little cafe which you get to under the bridge. You can see the arch in the background which is where the cafe is. These people are enjoying the sun and sipping on hot drinks.






A busker earning some money.







My new hat! That day I really appreciated it as it was cold and a bit windy.

















4 comments:

Spike & Glo said...

Sounds like you had a great Holiday experience. Why don't you bring Boxing Day back to the U.S. with you; we need another holiday! The dinner sounded delicious, only I would have traded the broccoli for Peppermint Ice Cream. Glo just fixed broccoli for supper; it is not exciting. spike

Renee said...

Sounds like you had plenty to eat on Christmas - trying to keep all happy ;-)

Once again you have outdone yourself with your photos from Southwest London to Richmond. They are so clear and have such great color!!

Happy New Year! We will be hanging with Hilda, Wes and Tara (Wes's stepdaughter) at the downtown festivities. Looks like it might be a cold one. Can I borrow your cool hat Phyllis? :-)

Unknown said...

Phyllis & Ed.
I saw your names on the Hesston 1978 facebook page and vaguely recalled that you were in London.
I visited the center once, years ago. It goes back much farther in my family though. My grandparents were, I believe, the first directors. My aunt Deb tells stories of being dragged along to preach on the street. I don't expect you're doing much of that.

I'm also curious about Kristen Leichty as we spent 10 years in Albany, OR as I was growing up and knew a fair number of Leichtys. As it also happens my brother-in-law live in Saltaire which is right next to Bradford where he did his degree in some sort of Peace Studies.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying your time in London.

Mark Groh

flute4peace said...

What a gorgeous walk! I'm jealous.

And it sounds like you had a nice dinner, as well. I had to laugh at the sprouts comment - having just read MB's recent blogging I could only imagine the face she made when she read this. LOL.

Do you know who Rachel Goering from Newton's parents are? I wonder if I know them?