Saturday, October 25, 2008

More pictures from Slovenia and an interesting question.









When you work at a resource Centre that has theologins hanging around studying and such, you are most likely going to come into contact with these people during the course of the day. Today out of the blue, one of these types stopped me in the lobby and asked me "okay Phyllis, just off the top of your head without thinking about the question much, what would you say is the problem with the church"? Of course I couldn't give an answer without asking a question which he didn't want but I asked "the Mennonite church or the 'church' in general? I guess the church in general, he says.
So what would you say? My latest 'religous' type book that I've been reading I'm sure had a large influence on my answer. The book is The shaping of things to come by Michael Frost & Alan Hirsch. It talks about Innovation and Mission for the 21st century Church. So having to say something quickly I said that I felt the church has a tendency to be too institutional and not enough mission focused.
So let me know what you think.

1 comment:

happycamper5555 said...

I know mission to international places is very important, but I don't think "the church" spends enough time taking care of their own - meaning local community.

P&E, you know our church tries to help our neighbors as much as we can... "Hearts to Hands" and local outreach like the Lighthouse and Wednesday night's JYF programs are an example of that.

BUT, we could do so much more! And that's where I think "the church" (all churches in general) are lacking. We could help so many more people in our local communities and impress upon more people how important Christ and livings Christlike is, that more people would be drawn to him. You asked, so there's my 2 cents! JH