Sunday, February 24, 2008

One down, two to go!

We have been here for a year now with two more to go. It's gone fast for the most part. I can't say that it has been easy. Mostly because of missing family and friends. But we are having a great time here. It has been a good time of meeting new people from all over the world, serving God in a new way, learning how to do "more with less" in many ways, and mostly a time of reflection. You know the saying 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks', well that's not true. I came into this position not really knowing much about how to operate a computer other than how to read my email. I am much more proficient in my abilities there although I still have to nudge Ed a lot to show me how to navigate around the system. I also thought that it was going to be nearly impossible to create a balanced, appetizing meal for vegetarians but have done quite well. I wasn't so sure how we were going to make it with a closet for a bathroom.....and were Ed and I going to be able to work together so much and still like each other? Well, we are still together and still like each other!

The other adjustment is living with other people. We do have our own space but we share the laundry facilities, outdoor space, work space, and are around each other a lot. It feels like living in a dorm again....sort of.

So if I thought that I might be heading towards a mid life crisis with all the thoughts that go along with that term, then this was the right way to go! I have felt challenged in both my spiritual and worldly life with much to do and think about. It has been extremely rewarding and humbling to be here and serve God in this way.

We both are very thankful to all of you, our families and friends for praying for us, keeping in contact with us via skype, email, letters, packages, and phone calls and for those who have actually flown here to visit with us (and for those who have plans to do so) because we know that it is not cheap to travel here. We love sharing our lives with you in these ways.

We think of you all a lot. I must go now as our church has a "bring and share" meal today at the Centre (another way to say pot luck or carry in meal).

2 comments:

MB said...

Congrats on completing your first year E and P. We miss you back here in H town and PV. You are doing a great job there in London. Thanks for keeping up your blog writing, and picture taking around Great Britain. It helps us all stay in touch! :)

The Grabers said...

Wow how reflective you both are! I was touched reading Phyllis's words, and then the deeply moving poem for Ed's shoes just really brought the tears flowing. Okay, it was from laughter, but never has there been a better tribute to geek shoes. I have to say it feels like a lot longer than a year that you've been gone, but I'm happy for all that you are experiencing! Cheers!
Tonya