Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spectacular Springtime

Bluebells in UK are spectacular. They come up everywhere and last for several weeks. The blue is so bright it hurts your eyes and the greens of the stems and leaves are so rich. What a treat.
This is Sharon's idea of a gag birthday present. I guess this is proof that I should keep my opinions about vegetables to myself. They didn't go to waste though. I advertised then via email to my fellow staff members and they were gone in an instant. Yuk!

I have been working with this apple tree now three seasons. When I got here they told me this tree used to produce a tremendous amount of tasty Bramley apples (great for baking), but for the last number of years it was completely barren. So I pruned the tree a bit the first year and I got one blossom - but no apples. Next I pruned the tree harder taking of six or seven years growth. This spring I got FOUR blossoms. That's progress - 400% improvement! I hope it will really take off next year.


No comments: